Fiona, Freya, Riley, Duncan, and Simon are looking for their new forever flock...if you just know you're the right family for these feathered friends, fill out an adoption form in the Parrot Adoptions Ontario Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/753402228394331
Get more info on these beauties at the Parrot Adoptions Ontario FB Group!
Biko the cockatoo is located in Hamilton, Ontario, and comes with a lovely cage and everything that's in it (and they would be willing to deliver her or meet half way depending on how far the potential re-home is). Her mom and dad really don't want to see her go, but their condo board has left them with no choice...that's why this is an urgent adoption. Biko needs to find her new and perfect flock as quickly as possible. Check out the video interview below (plus an extra adorable home video!), and contact Parrot Adoptions Ontario (Facebook Group) for more info and to start the adoption process. Let's find this lovely lady's forever flock!
click here to contact parrot adoptions ontario and start the adoption process
Tell me about your overseas/long distance adoption fur baby!
I have two long distance fur babies!
1) Boss, from Tennessee, USA. He's a "chug" (chihuahua-pug mix) who is 20lbs, and adorable. Boss, like his namesake, is a bit of a diva, stubborn, but very smart. Loves tricks, playing catch and his best human and dog friends.
2) Queenie, from Shanghai, China. She is likely a chihuahua mix and is 15lbs. She's sweet as pie but also has an attitude when anyone tries to play rough with her or take her size for granted. She is super brave and loves her people really deeply.
What organization did you adopt through? Tell me what it was like working with them and what was involved in the process…
I adopted with Fetch + Releash, a dog rescue based in Toronto, who bring in dogs from international locations. I discovered them via volunteering for their foster team as a foster and foster coordinator. I have always been a supporter of rescue and F+R partners closely with the rescues involved all over the world to make sure the dogs are in the best hands!
Since then, I've become obsessed with the rescue community and talk to many of its members in my podcast, Rescue Dog Love. (our website will be live soon, it is http://rescuedoglove.com)
For those who might be interested in adopting a pet from overseas, and so they know what to expect, what were the pros and cons of this long distance adoption process?
- We are lucky that in the GTA we do not have an overpopulation issue - to help parts of the world where dogs are seen as pests is an amazing opportunity. Plus, people fall in love with dogs from certain regions, as region in the world has its own rescues with different looks, personalities, quirks... people love supporting our Mexico shelter for example, it is its own welcome community!
- Pros: You get access to many different types of dogs, personalities. You get a community of rescue-minded folks - you can even volunteer or visit the shelter where your dog originally came from!
- Cons: Likely more expensive due to travel and vetting. You must also screen the rescue you adopt from to ensure that all medical procedures are covered - especially since international locations can bring forward some more rare canine diseases! Ask questions to make sure you trust the rescue you're working with. If you are looking in the Toronto area, feel free to message me or any of the guests who've been on my podcast - we might have some recommendations.
As Vanessa says, "Bryson’s job is to allow owners to practice some of the rehab techniques on him prior to taking their own dog home after surgery." What a great idea for pet parents who need to learn rehab techniques to apply to their fur babies. Since Bryson is such a good boy, he's a great teacher. No need to stress out pets in pain or with mobility issues pre-surgery.
Read more for a written summary version of the interview...
Regan is a certified Canine Massage Therapist (CCMT), has certification in First Aid and CPR for Pets, and some beginner training in Herbal Remedies and Aromatherapy for personal use.